Little Known Facts
-Arthur Rozzi first put on an Independence day fireworks display at Coney Island in 1934.
-In 1929, George Schott began the practice of closing the park on Mondays giving the employees a two-day weekend.
-George F. Schott, who was the president of Coney Island in the 1920s and early 30s, died on July 25, 1935. He had visited Moonlite Gardens shortly before it closed for the night. He collapsed when talking with members of the Independent Hardware Stores, who had visited the park earlier. He died at the age of 57 of a heart attack. His son, Edward L. Schott became the President and General Manager of Coney Island at the age of 28.
-Sunlite Pool used to be fed entirely (and still is partially) fed by artesian wells that stretch down 100 feet into the ground. They keep the pool at a cool 77 degrees.
-May 21st, 1955 actor Fess Parker arrived to greet children at the park. Fess Parker portrayed Davy Crockett in the Disney television series. His failed attempt to build a frontier theme park in Northern Kentucky would lead to the eventual closure of Coney Island and the building of Kings Island.
-In June of 1956, Walt Disney made a visit to Coney to see how the park was run. He was in the process of building Disneyland in California. Coney`s president Mr. Schott was a “paid” consultant for Disney on the new park project. He was paid $1 for his services.
-The current building that houses LaRosa`s at the park was built in 1967 at a cost of $50,000.
-Moonlite Gardens continues to be a host for dances throughout the summer as well as a place for wedding receptions and special events.
-Coney purchased lot “G” in the Whetsone Plan from John L. Whetstone in 1890. The 16.007 acres of land cost $5,800.50 and was located directly behind Parker`s original farm. This land would become home to Lake Como, named after the lake in Italy. Lake Como, built in 1893, is only three to four feet deep, all the way across! The lake covers an area of 12 acres.
-Riverbend Music Center sits on land that once belonged to Coney Island. (And was the approximate location of the Shooting Star turnaround). Coney gave the land to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, which owns Riverbend. In 2007, it was announced that Riverbend would be building a smaller pavilion, The National City Pavilion to the northwest of the 1984 pavilion. Coney deeded some more land to Riverbend for this new pavilion, which will be located on part of the land of the old tennis courts, and immediately adjacent to the Dodgems. The $6.8 million project seats 4,100 guests and was completed in May of 2008.
-Coney`s main gift shop, The Museum Shop, houses many pictures from the park in its glory years, before Kings Island opened.
-Procter & Gamble dividend day, now held every September at Kings
Island, dates back to 1929 when 10,000 P&G employees were entertained
at the park.
-In 1947, Edward Schott estimated that each ordinary flood cost the park
-Coney began the practice of opening the park a few weekends before the regular season for a series of preview weekends. These weekends typically started around the last weekend in April (such as April 30th in 1948), and only a few of the rides were in operation during these preview days.
-An unfortunate incident occurred in 1947 when a 68-year-old widow, Josephine Rosenfeld, of Westwood, died when she fell from a Merry Go round horse. While riding, she suffered a dizzy spell on one of the jumping horses and she toppled over onto the floor of the merry go round. She died 90 minutes later at Christ Hospital of a basal skull fracture.
-“Suicide Simon” debuted at Coney in 1947. The stunt man performed numerous times at the park in the 50`s and 60`s blasting himself out of a cannon twice daily.
-1955, African Americans were finally allowed to visit the park as guests, although they still could not swim in Sunlite or the ballroom. The park would not be fully integrated until 1961.
-The carousel horses were removed every winter from the ride and stored in the highest portion of Moonlite Gardens, to prevent damage when the Ohio flooded.
-The original turnpike cars that were installed in 1958, were manufactured by Streifthau Manufacturing Co. of Middletown, Ohio. The Streifthau Manufacturing Co. was a division of LeSourdsville Lake. The ride beat out the Shooting Star for the most popular ride in the park in 1958 (367,422 customers to 365,010 customers).
-The title “America`s Finest Amusement Park” first appeared in 1926.
-The stone gate from the Ohio River was built in 1925, and utilizes stones found along the banks of the river.
-The car entrance gate along Kellogg Avenue was built in 1928.